Sunday, June 20, 2010

Bon Appétit

I'm not trying to turn this into a food blog or anything, but I just had to blog about this restaurant. So I met up with Joann the other day...wait, you remember Joann right? The one from the Doctor Fish post...You remember? Anyways, I met up with Joann the other day in Sinchon. Because of my work schedule, the only time I'm really free during the week is in the morning, so we met to catch up over brunch. At first, she we thought about getting Italian, but she said she'd read about a really good French crêperie nearby.



Now, I don't know about you guys, but the prospect of a French restaurant in Korea seemed pretty cool in my mind. I've been to a lot of different restaurants, but I can't recall a French one. So when we got to La Celtique, I was definitely intrigued.

The inside was really nice. There were these random French posters on the wall, French magazines on tables, and for some reason, little life preservers hanging from the ceiling. I think there was some kind of beach theme going on, which was very refreshing since it was kinda gloomy outside.





Later on, I found out that the restaurant's motif was reminiscent of Bretagne, France, residing in a large peninsula in the northwest of France. Located between the English Channel and the Bay of Biscay, Bretagne (or Brittany) features gorgeous views of the coastline and is also known to be a great place for water sports.

It was a pleasant atmosphere, with French jazz music playing from the corner, and the chef was also amusing as everytime he spoke to us, he juggled phrases in French, Korean and English. At one point he goes, "Enjoy your sweet crepe, bon appétit, kamsahamnida." He was great.



So let's talk about the food. First off, the menu was in French and Korean, so we read through it with me guessing what the French words meant, and Joann reading what they were in Korean. But there were also pictures, and everything looked delicious. They had a dish called a galette, mainly associated with the region of Bretagne, that was kind of like an omelette, except instead of egg, it was served on a thin, wheat pancake with the meat and vegetables.



Now I'm already a big fan of omelettes, but that galette was pretty exceptional as well, especially served with shrimp (thanks to joann for sharing her food). The side salad was also really fresh and served with a balsamic vinaigrette. C'est Magnifique!

But we weren't done yet, because we saved room for dessert. I mean, you can't go to a creperie and not have a crepe, right? Of course you can't. Which is why this was the best part of the meal.



May I present to you this delectably decadent sweet crepe. This is where the chef comes over and says "Bon Appétit". A scoop of vanilla ice cream with fried bananas and drizzled with caramel. Looks appetizing doesn't it? Imagine sitting at a table with it in front of you.

If you think I'm exaggerating, just ask Joann.



I swear, while we were eating it, every ten seconds we would stop and say, "This is SOOO good." And every bite was just as delicious.

So not every experience I have over here is specifically Korean. A cozy, creperie turned out to be my favorite eating experience so far. Shout out to Joann for making another appearance, and finding such a great spot for brunch. Also, a huge shout out to Chef Charles Duval and his partner Yu Yeong Jin for the meal.



Paix (Peace)

P.S. Yes, those are light bulb salt & pepper shakers.

1 comment:

  1. man that crepe was gooood. :)
    I think it took us 10 seconds to eat it... haha

    ReplyDelete